Swing Batter, Batter, SWING!!
Waking up today knowing that The one an only Houston Astros won the 2017 World Series!
Imagine that….
Usually I go to bed on November 1st knowing that if I didn’t early vote I was going to have to navigate the long voting lines. But not last night… I closed my eyes after thinking about how I started this year and how I am finishing and I feel pretty good. See, I started with some goals to finish before the end of the year and I have already knocked those goals out of the park! I signed a contract on this day last year to hire a “writing midwife.” What is a “writing midwife” you ask? in my case she guided me through the process of figuring out what I wanted to write about, to whom, and why. This was no easy task because, I must admit being a writer was never an aspiration for me. Unless it was writing script for tv, radio, or the such. I produced, directed, and edited a television gospel music video show early 2000’s (but that is a different blog post). So thinking of writing really freaked me out because I was concerned about not having enough too say or sounding like I didn’t make it out of grade school. I know I can be very hard on myself. True story. But that is my truth… Yet and still….in a year I have a complete book…..a complete book……A Complete BOOK!! I am so filled with joy! This book was a “labor” of love… A Labor of Love for my sons…I know that it takes a supportive community, what some might call a ‘village” to raise a child. I wanted to share my experience as a teacher in the public school system and my journey raising four sons. Which I equate to the Astros winning the World Series. Parenting requires us to make adjustments depending on the challenge….should we throw a curve ball or  walk the batter. This is most learned during the teen years. Sometimes we have to go up to bat for our kids and sometimes we need to pitch. Either way we need to keep our eyes on the ball and keep our head  in the game! Our kids are depending on us to not to get discouraged during a rally by the other team or a strike out but to see the big picture. Sometimes minor adjustments in our parenting style to meet the needs of our particular child will keep us on course for being an MVP in the World Series of Parenting. For strategies to be a World Series Parent pre-order A Guide to Social Media Era Parenting today! As a Houstonian, Birthday Lady, and Hurricane Harvey Survivor I am a Winner!! Oh, and the MVP for the Houston Astros Carlos Correa proposed to his girlfriend Miss Texas USA Daniella Rodriguez after winning the World Series! Beautiful love story and a winning beginning! Imagine what was going through his head during the game……winning was the only option….he wasn’t thinking about being the MVP but a FIANCE….bae goals……no redo….do over……he had one objective……with an unmatched motivation to put a ring on it in a once in a lifetime fashion! Congrats!! I definitely want to interview him and be at their wedding!!  #HoustonAstros #WorldSeries2017 #WorldSeriesParenting

Categories: Uncategorized

17 Comments

Pernille · November 4, 2017 at 7:42 am

My oldest is 10 and technology is already a challenge. We have limited ALL social media and he doesn’t really know what they are yet. I want to keep it that way. Unfortunately there are games and youtube which are creeping in and giving him visibility into some of the negative internet behaviors. I am definitely interested in checking out your book. More resources is always good.

angie · November 9, 2017 at 11:27 am

we most definetly live in a different world than what I grew up in. They teach teck in school and our grandkids have their own ipads.
come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Maria · November 9, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Parents these days have the toughest parts… I can’t even imagine the stress and level of attention you need to have to be able to keep up with your kids and their lives…

Brigette Collins · November 9, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Congratulations on your book! That is so cool! I always wanted to write a book when I was younger. I am a (fairly young) parent, and I know I am always trying to keep up with my kids, and they are not even teens yet!!

Anonymous · November 10, 2017 at 4:04 am

I grew up with a computer at home and seeing phones everywhere around me. Thankfully my parents were quite strict so I had my first phone at 15, started to use social media only 2 years ago. But I can get how hard it might be for parents who are not familiar with any of these. Just another world to them. congrats on your book

Marie · November 10, 2017 at 6:11 am

Congratulations on completing a book! I know it was no easy task. I was hoping to write one myself this year, but I’m still in the process!

Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place · November 10, 2017 at 6:23 am

It’s really important that we factor in how much the world has changed. Parenting is completely different these days than how our parents raised us. It’s one of the best things though, because we continue to learn and adjust! It sounds like you’ve done so much this year, hurrah for your accomplishments!!!

Ant · November 10, 2017 at 3:56 pm

It’s wonderful when we feel accomplished in our goals – especially when they are ones we never dreamed of doing. Love the idea of a writing midwife…

Misty | Thifty Mama Life · November 10, 2017 at 5:33 pm

As a parent I know my kids have to know technology, so I do teach my 3 yr old the basics and they catch on so quick and figure things out on thier own. They use ipads in Kindergarten here, so I rather her be prepared.

Ana Vukosavljevic · November 10, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Congrats on your book! I could never imagine myself writing one. I can totally understand your struggles and I’m so happy you finished it. I hope it’s going to be a great success!!

Jack bransson · November 10, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Congratulations on your book, its really good to change the environment you live at and experience something different and thats how you can grow your knowledge and experience at the same time. I hope you can meet him oneday!

Ra'Nesha · November 10, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Congratulations on your completing and writing this book.

Alaina Monster · November 11, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Congrats on finishing you book! I’ve never heard of a writing midwife, sounds like someone that could be such a great help to all writers and bloggers.

Becomingbritton · November 12, 2017 at 7:51 am

Writing Midwife? That sounds like such a fun job. I want to do that! It would be a really fun gig to help people.

Amy Dong · November 12, 2017 at 9:35 pm

We definitely majorly limit social media (actually, they haven’t been allowed access yet, at ages 11 and 13) … and we limit all screen time; we just spend loads of time doing outdoor activities, sports, music, and school work 😉 Thanks for sharing your perspectives and thoughts – you keep doing what you’re doing!! 🙂

Tiffany Yong · November 13, 2017 at 9:58 am

Congratulations on writing your own book. This is not as easy as it looks before I did try to write one and I got stuck right at the start~, Hope more people will benefit from reading your book!

Steve · November 13, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Sounds like you had a fun time watching your Astros win the world series! And congratulations on finishing up your book!

Comments are closed.