I have grown up in Houston and have experienced hurricanes. But I don’t think any hurricane had my attention like Hurricane Harvey! Harvey was different….Harvey was the “perfect storm” Harvey had the perfect elements to cause some real damage to Houston and surrounding areas.
Let me set the stage…..I remember telling a friend that I hadn’t finish experiencing the eclipse when she asked if I was ready for the storm…What storm??….Hurricane Harvey. I was still thinking about the extreme gases that the eclipse was giving off and the heat I experienced. Could the eclipse have anything to do with the perfect hurricane formations this season?!? I am no scientist but that makes perfect sense to me…
Hurricane Harvey keep my family and I in the house for four days. Thankful for all the food and water we purchased. The boys and I played some board games and digital games. The one’s I enjoyed the most were “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” Junior Edition and a new Monopoly game with the digital score keeper. Oh and don’t forget the snacks….Harvey has been blamed for weight gain by many…..We also celebrated my youngest sons Birthday “home with Harvey!” A two week delay on school and a city left to pickup the pieces…
After the rain we got out of the house and saw the devastation the storm caused and it broke my heart. So many displaced in Houston, over 10,000 people were in one shelter alone. Many churches in the area became distribution centers and shelters. The Houston community is really showing the world the Texas Strong and Houston Strong spirit. I have never felt so prouder to call myself a Houstonian and a Texan. We will recover! Charryse Johnson

Categories: Uncategorized

18 Comments

Ty · September 25, 2017 at 6:27 am

I’m glad that you guys are alright and that you were able to have some family fun and make some birthday memories in spite of the storm. I also think that the eclipse had something to do with all he crazy weather that we have been having.

Terri · September 25, 2017 at 7:05 am

This reminds of the hurricane that hit NJ. I remember being scared out of my mind. We were in Jersey- we weren’t supposed to experience any natural disasters like that. WE didn’t even know how to deal with natural disasters like that. it was certainly an experience for the books. So glad you and your family are ok and were able to make some memories.

Felecia Monique · September 25, 2017 at 8:36 am

I’m just happy you’re safe. I’m glad your children enjoyed the time at home as opposed to suffering. I pray for your city and a quick recovery!!

ayerim · September 25, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Glad you all are safe!

Sapphire Kharyzma · September 25, 2017 at 3:10 pm

I am so happy you and your family are safe. I am also glad that it allowed you to bond and spend quality time!

Tiffany H. · September 26, 2017 at 10:12 am

I’m happy to hear that you and your family were safe. It broke my heart to see the devastation on the news, so I can’t image physically seeing it with my own eyes. I’m glad to see so many people lending a hand to help rebuild Houston. Although not a good reason to be in the house it was an opportunity to spend quality time with one another.

Bernetta Knighten · September 26, 2017 at 10:16 am

I am so glad you made it through and are safe. We just went through Irma down here in Florida and it was an experiencer for sure.

Wangel · September 26, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Wow, you seem like such a positive person abd a great mom! Category 5 hurricane won’t stop you from celebrating your kids birthdays with them!! I admire your strength and am glad you and your family were safe! Keeping Houston in my thoughts 🙁

Camesha | Mama Motivator · September 26, 2017 at 2:56 pm

I’m so happy you guys made it through. These storms get scarier and scarier. I can’t even imagine.

Carissa · September 26, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Glad you all made it through the storm safely! When we get snow storms and are forced to stay in the house, I often think its God’s way of giving everyone a break for a while. I admire your strength and how you still celebrated your son’s birthday even during the storm!

Bianca Dottin · September 26, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I’m glad you guys made it through the storm safely and were able to spend some family time together. My family did the same thing to get through Hurricane Irma.

xoxo,
Bianca

Kita · September 26, 2017 at 6:20 pm

I grew up in Charleston. I’ve been through several hurricanes but these last ones hitting the US have been so crazy. Glad you and your family are ok.

JeeYoung · September 26, 2017 at 8:11 pm

I can’t even imagine what you went through, so glad y’all are ok!

Barbara Alfeo · September 27, 2017 at 11:00 am

Wow, thanks for sharing this. Glad you are ok!

Nicole · September 27, 2017 at 12:29 pm

I am so glad you are okay and I definitely appreciate you sharing with the rest of the world how things are really going and your experience.

The Salty Mamas · September 27, 2017 at 1:20 pm

It sounds like you and your family made the best of a terrible situation. I’m so glad you made it through safe and sound!

Toiia L. Rukuni · September 27, 2017 at 1:46 pm

You guys were seriously blessed and highly favored to remain safe and to keep a roof over your head after the major devastation of Harvey!

Gina · October 11, 2017 at 3:28 am

You guys made the best out of an awful situation. So glad that you and your family are ok.

Comments are closed.